Very Berry Strawberry Cake
- 1 18.25 oz box of white cake mix
- 1 3 oz box of strawberry flavored instant gelatin
- 1 15 oz package of frozen strawberries in the syrup, thaw first then puree
- *Puree, To blend, grind or mash food until it is a thick, smooth, lump-free consistency. Pureeing can be done in a blender, food processor, or food mill or can be accomplished by pressing the food through a sieve.*
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- ¼ cup of water
- Strawberry cream cheese frosting recipe
- ¼ cup salted softened butter
- 1 10 oz package of cream cheese softened
- 1 10 oz package frozen strawberries in the syrup that are thawed and pureed
- ½ teaspoon strawberry extract
- 7 cups of confectioners sugar
- Optional, 2-8 fresh strawberries to decorate the stop of the cake or use to garnish, you can slice them thin and place over the top of the cake or place a few in the middle of the cake to decorate, or use them to garnish the plates
Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit or 176.667 Celsius.
Lightly grease 2 9 inch round cake cake pans.
Use a large bowl to combine the boxed cake mix and the gelatin, add the pureed strawberries, eggs, oil, and the water.
Beat the ingredients at a medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
Next, pour the mixture into the two greased round pans, bake in the center of the oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the center of each cake comes out without wet batter.
Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes in the pans.
Remove from pans and cool fully on a wire rack.
*tips on how to remove a cake from a pan on our tips page*
Use a large bowl to beat the butter and cream cheese on a medium speed with an electric mixer, do this until the consistency is smooth and creamy.
Beat in ¼ of a cup of the strawberry puree and the strawberry extract, slowly add the confectioners sugar, continue beating till the mixture is smooth.
Use the frosting between the two layers, over the top and sides or you can choose to frost each separately, garnish with fresh whole or sliced strawberries.
With the remaining strawberry puree you can use vanilla bean ice cream or lemon gelato on the side, drizzle the puree over the top for a taste and visual sensation!